Monday 13 July 2009

How It Happened

On June 27th 2009 I organised a dance for invited friends. It was the first time I had danced since the autumn of 2006. In the middle of some particularly energetic Irish dancing, it 'snapped' with a bang loud enough for my friend James to hear it. I thought I had been kicked in the back of the leg and was surprised when I couldn't put any weight on it. I was helped outside to get some air as I was in shock, feeling faint and nauseous. After having it bandaged and ice-packed by a friend who knew the R.I.C.E. principle (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), and having been given a cup of hot, sweet tea, I felt better and wasn't in any great pain. Later on my partner took me to the Accident & Emergency and a full rupture was diagnosed by a nurse who did The Thompson Test.

After a long period of waiting around in cubicles it was put into a full Equinas plaster cast, my knee bent at 45 degrees and the foot pointing down, ballerina style. Once it had set I was given a pair of crutches and told I could go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment