Sunday 23 August 2009

Week 9 - Feet on the Ground

It's now just over 8 weeks since I ruptured my Achilles Tendon whilst dancing. As of last weekend I have decided to walk without the boot, i.e. in bare feet or shoes, when indoors. I can feel the tendon getting stronger and can do heel raises (but not on the injured leg only). I'm being very careful of course and I am limping/walking oddly but I feel that it's the right strategy, in order to build up the calf muscle and stretch the tendon slightly. Fortunately I don't have any stairs to negotiate, just a single step. I'm looking forward to giving back the crutches and boot, but I'm not seeing the consultant (if I ever get to meet him anyway, see below) and physio for the first time on September 1st.

On a different note, I hope the NHS cleans up and reuses the crutches/boot, or passes them on to a country that can't afford new ones. I'm going to ask them what they do with them when I next visit the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment